We visited this park with a large group of friends last week and about melted from the humidity, but fortunately the rain held off until after we left (Gretchen and I got drenched in the HyVee parking lot, uggh). This is a really large park with plenty to explore but my review is of the large playground right next to the lake that faces Lackman (go here to see a map of the entire park.
Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park
87th and Lackman in Lenexa, KS
What we love about Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park: This park is huge! There is a large playground right next to the lake with bathrooms right next to it, a little island with a dragon (?) statue that you can get to by walking across the rock bridge, and a trail that circles the lake and then goes on up the hill to the other parts of the park that we have yet to explore. The Lenexa website says there are 5 playgrounds total, but from what I can tell this playground is the largest. There is a large playground structure with multiple slides and climbing structures as well as 4 swings (2 baby, 2 regular), and a little ride on frog. The retaining wall that forms a half circle around the playground is also fun for the kids to walk on: back and forth and back and forth! There is a picnic table right next to this playground and a couple of shelters nearby that can be reserved as well as other picnic tables and benches scattered along the trail. The paved trail around the lake is great for kids to explore with their bikes and scooters.
Other things to know about Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park:
– If you park in the lot at Cedar Ridge Christian Church there is a paved path that will take over to the playground. When you cross the footbridge stop and look around, we saw several frogs/toads and tadpoles! Gretchen loved scoping them out.
– If barns and historical Kansas artifacts are your thing, check out the Legler Barn Museum at the corner of 87th and Lackman. There is a train caboose right next to it the kids can check out as well.
– This park also features a pool, disc golf course, and a skate park.
– Lenexa is hosting a concert series at this park in May and June of 2015.
– If you want to check out ALL the parks in Lenexa this summer, go check out their playground passport program.